Friday, September 9, 2011

National Sewing Month Pledge: Sewing Machine Maintenance

I'm still trapped on Martha's Vineyard... I say "trapped" because it's been cold and raining, until today. Which is sunny and beautiful, but I woke up with a head cold. FOILED.

Tucked into my cozy New England bed, I discovered from xoJane that September is National Sewing Month. I haven't decided what to do with this information yet...but I do have one pledge I'd like to start off with.




I pledge to master the art of sewing machine maintenance and practice it zenfully (and consistently).

I mean, I didn't even know you were supposed to change the needle out. I'm sure some of you are shaking your heads at me right now. I'm ashamed. I've been awful to my little Brother and it's high time I made amends.

Of course, reading the manual will be my most important step, but I've found these resources while I'm laid up here.





Threads Magazine
About.com
New Mexico State University
SewUSA - more of a repair guide
Burdastyle

These are some great resources for sewing machine maintenance and preventative care. Maybe I'll find all those pins that periodically get sucked into the machine. Yikes.





6 comments:

  1. Ack, this is one of those things that I've been promising myself I'll learn how to do but just haven't done. I'm really not good with machines (why did I start sewing???) and I'm super intimidated by the process. Maybe it's time to dive in! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEs cleaning is very important and i found this out the hard way.. the bobbin was having some troubles and kept tangling the thread, it looked ghastly on my fabric, luckily it was a test piece. anyway it was making my machine lock up. E6 my brother kept yelling at me, finally i looked up how to "fix" E6 and found that simple cleaning could solve my problem, and BOY did it work. Bro was running smooth and happy. but according to above websites, i should be cleaning him Way more often than i do.. SO.. off to do that now! thanks for the reminder :)ps. hope you feel better soon. try hot water with lemon and honey, and if you like it spicy you can add a bit of bourbon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. maintenance of sewing machine is very important. If you are a sewing lover, you could understand only how sewing is important to you as you consider your sewing machine the best sewing machine ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sewing machine maintenance is an issue if you are a beginner. If doesn't matter if you have the best sewing machine or a slightly low quality. Both needs maintenance on regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Challenging issues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My eyes aren't what they used to be, so patience is a must!

    ReplyDelete